Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Class Four

June 13, 2012

Class Notes...
Cyber Bullying
- A lot of teachers just turning the other way
- Bullying is taking on a whole new form because of technology
- Teachers can be bullied too by other teachers
- Then students see it happening to those who are supposed to be role models
- Problem with technology piece is that kids don't turn it off
- Bullies can continue to bully others even in their most personal times
- Examples: texting, creating websites, Facebook
- The concerns are real
- There is actual state statues in place now for bullying and it can go to court
- Is bullying worse if it's physical or psychological?
- The truth is it's the psychological piece because then kids commit suicide

Movie: Bully
- Documentary about 3 different areas
- Lesbian girl who was disowned by own town, premature baby had birth defects,

ABC Primetime video on cyber bullying
- Cameras and cellphones are "weapons of mass destruction"
- Girls can use words as their weapons
- Study conducted that shows that some girls are bullies at age 3
- Girls are going after the "emotional jugular"

VoiceThread
- Conversations in the cloud
- Have an account for the rest of the semester
- Assignment due Monday: Record comment on voice thread
- Need to register to comment: just create a new email

Audacity
- Assignment due Monday: record what we thought about VoiceThread on this and then send it to the professor
- This is a free program that can be downloaded on Google
- You can layer your tracks on this program

Below are the recorded responses that I used. Hence the "..." marks. I am not a fan of hearing my own voice.

Voice Thread...
http://voicethread.com/
It's halftime at the Superbowl and this message comes up on television. What does it say to you? What does it say to all of us?


"I love that Clint Eastwood is narrating! I think his voice is perfect for the narration of this message. His voice is the voice of every hard working American. At one point he says, "We all rallied around what was right and acted as one. Because that's we do. We find a way through tough times and if we can't find a way then we'll make one. All that matters now is what's ahead."

What this says to me is that I need to keep moving forward. That no matter what's going on in my life I should live in the now and continue working towards the future.

What this says to all of us that "anything can be conquered in numbers." That, yes, America is suffering, but we are suffering together, and, to overcome the suffering, we must rise up against it, but united."

Audacity...
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
"I think I like the idea of VoiceThread more than I like using it. The idea of it is fantastic. It creates a visual and interactive way for people to share their thoughts about media.

I watched the video on "What's a VoiceThread Anyway?" and it showed the 5 different types of ways you could share your thoughts (telephone, webcam, microphone, text, and file upload). I recorded my comment instead of typing it because I figured that I should step out of my comfort zone and not use text. I found that I was far more nervous about what I was actually going to say. I took, maybe, 20 minutes, to write out my thoughts. Then read it out loud to my dog several times. I'm sure she thought I was crazy. Once I finally felt confident enough to hit the record button, I immediately pronounced Clint Eastwood's name incorrectly. So I started again. After 4 unsuccessful tries I finally recorded one I was satisfied with.

I think this could be used in the classroom. It would give students s a "voice of their own," literally. It really is just another fun way to express yourself through technology."

No comments:

Post a Comment