Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Class Nine - Blackboard

June 25, 2012

The discussion question was...
Should social networks be used as part of the school curriculum? What is the age limit? Can you see the possibilities or do you believe that it is still a tricky area for schools? On a professional note, should Facebook or other social networking sites be used to connect with students? This topic has been an area of contention for many schools and educators.

I responded with...
Should social networks be used as a part of school curriculum? I want to say yes, but part of me says no.

The yes side of me believes that we should teach students how to act on social networks as a part of the school curriculum. We should teach them the benefits of being part of a social community. How these networks can be used for good. In the video 'Internet Becomes a Lifeline to Haiti' is an example of how students could benefit from being on a social network. People were left without food or shelter, but had internet. They were able to communicate with their loved ones across the seas and let them know they were safe and alright. They were also able to share pictures of the destruction that earthquake caused their home. Through Facebook and Twitter people created pages for donations. Information through these social networks often shows and tells more than the evening news. People have instant and constant access to social networks at all times.

The one side of me believes that we should not teach or at least restrict the use of social networks in the school curriculum. The video 'University Tries Life without Twitter, Facebook' shows us that students have a hard time unplugging. This particular university allowed their students, while at school, to go on Facebook, Twitter, and Instant Messaging. I don't think they should be allowed to do that. I know, because I've done it, that it can be distracting and disturbing to others who are trying to learn. I think the only acceptable way that social networking sites should be used is if it somehow fits into the already planned curriculum. An example would be if the students were learning about natural disasters and how to recover from a natural disaster, exploring Facebook and Twitter pages of the Haitian earthquake would be beneficial to student's learning. But just allowing them to go or be on it constantly isn't healthy. Some student's claimed how miserable they were and others attended an internet rehab center. I mean come on! We are that obsessed and in need of the internet that we now have rehab centers for it?
Age limit. That's a tricky one. I don't think there is a specific age limit to when you can just set your kid free to a network of, well, anything. It makes me nervous to think of young children, like in elementary school, going on social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter. There is so much on there that can suck them in. I worry about the bullying issues and how words on a page can often be misinterpreted. I remember when Instant Messaging first came out. I would sign in, waited for my dial up to load, and then go crazy! I would explore chat rooms and make up stories about who I really was. Totally unsafe now that I think back to it! I work mostly in elementary schools and the students are always asking me if they can be their Facebook friends. It's wrong on so many levels because the things I post are not always elementary school age appropriate and student shouldn't be asking their teachers to be friends with them! Which goes onto the next question. I think social networking sites can be used to connect with students, but it needs to be for solely educational purposes only. Once you enter the personal pages or accounts of your student, barriers are broken and fine lines crossed between student and teacher. I keep going back to the Haitian earthquake example. If you are teaching your students something that has to do with the current curriculum and a Facebook page or Twitter tweets is only about a specific educational topic then social networking is fine.

Sorry, I really am all over the board with this discussion. I am so torn on what's right and wrong. I am a perfect example of a social networker. I live on Facebook. As I type my responses, I have my Facebook page open and am ready to read any new status updates or pictures that might pop up on my NewsFeed.

Twitter...
https://twitter.com/
I am actually not a fan of Twitter. I had a Twitter account for a short amount of time. I didn’t tweet my own life, but I enjoyed seeing tweets and posted pictures of celebrities. But for some reason my account suddenly getting all these X-rated followers. I can assure you that I am not the kind of person who looks at those kinds of things! Nor were any of the people I were following in that type of business. So out of frustration and disgust I ended up canceling my Twitter Account.

I do feel though it could be beneficial for the classroom. Students would be able to tweet about a topic during class. A teacher could also use it to tweet about a conference or convention they were at that might tie into their learning. I do though have concern for students who use it beyond anything academic. I’d hate to see a student of middle school age getting sent the things that I was getting sent.

The benefits of Twitter is it provides students an immediate connection to celebrities or teachers. It shows an inside life to someone who they may not be able to know in person. The drawbacks would be how much is too much exposure to things like this. A celebrity may tweet about something inappropriate or show a picture that isn’t appropriate.

Edmodo...
http://www.edmodo.com/
I like Edmodo. It webpage reminds of Facebook. It’s a teacher Facebook. There are spots for posting comments and assignments. A calendar is helpful because it can show students when their assignments and future assignments are due. There are also links on the side to GoogleDocs. Overall I can’t say anything bad about it.

This could definitely be used in the classroom. A teacher could post anything that is required for the class. This eliminates the mistake students have of “forgetting” to write down their assignments in their homework pads or “accidentally” losing their homework pads. Parents could even be added to see what their children are learning in class. It would give students the sense of online freedom, yet still provide restrictions necessary to keep them safe.

The benefits of Edmodo are it allows students go access everything in their class online through this teacher Facebook. I guess it’s a student Facebook too. Teachers can post assignments, grades, links, anything really. I really don’t see any obvious drawbacks. The only drawback I can think about is if students in a not so technological area or of low socioeconomic status might not have constant access to a computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment